Friday, June 26, 2015

Day 9,10,11, Sf Opera's Marriage of Figaro Simulcast at AT&T Park in SF, July 3

Well here is Day 9, 10, 11.


Day 9 - June 23.
Here is Part 2 of my interview with Nat Koren, who works in the Sound Department at SF Opera.
I asked Nat how the sound signal gets out to AT& T.  The video and audio is sent through fiber optic to the Ball Park  and converted from an optical to electrical signal.  The video and audio is split and Nat takes the audio signal into his board at AT&T. He mixes about 400 feet from the Loudspeaker arrays in  the outfield. Light travels faster that sound and   light  in this case is video.  Sound takes  a half  second to reach the seats, so Nat has to make sure his delays are set so sound and picture are in lip sync.  Once he is set, he mixes the sound coming from the opera house.   I asked Nat what his biggest challenge is and his response was to get the sound to be as close as what is heard at the opera house as he can.

Day 10 -June 24 I went into blocking more shots for Figaro.  My AD and I locked ourselves in our viewing room and put our heads into our score.  I am not sure how many shots we have lined up but it will be well over 1500.  Comedy is tough but as you will see if you are coming to the Park on July 3 or the Opera House,  the cast is talented and very funny. We hope to capture every nuance and of course the great singing.  You will also have an opportunity to see the orchestra during the overture in Act 1.  Maestro Patrick Summers is heading up the orchestra and cast and has a good time of it.

Day 11, June 25 - This was my day to direct Opera Vision for the upper balcony and the opera was Les Troyens.  I snuck in 2 hours on Figaro and and hour on Two Women.  Again blocking shots.  Les Troyens was beautiful. Susan Graham and Anna Caterina Antonacci were incredible.  5 hours seemed to fly by!  On my way up to the control room on the 5th floor, I ran into General Director David Gockley in the hallway. We talked about Figaro and Super titles matching what I am cutting on the screen.  I assured him that we didn't need any changes at this time.  I like these brief meetings in the hallways of the opera house, you get a lot done.

Day 12, June 26 - This afternoon I will be working on Figaro.  Monday the 29th we have our rehearsal in 29 x 9.

As promised here are some photos from my first Simulcast that was broadcast to the Civic Center and one of the first simulcasts at AT&T.  Can you guess the opera's?  I will give the answers in the next post.
San Francisco Civic Center
Photo Courtesy Drew Altizer/San Francisco Opera

San Francisco Civic Center
Photo Courtesy Drew Altizer/San Francisco Opera



Photo Courtesy: Cory Weaver and San Francisco Opera

Photo Courtesy of San Francisco Opera















No comments:

Post a Comment